Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Homemade Plum Wine

We found a huge amount of wild plums this fall and after filling my cabinets with wild plum jelly, I used some more by starting a batch of this wine. The recipe calls for regular plums, but it appears to be working well with wild plums.

Easy Plum Wine

3 1/2 pounds ripe plums
4 pounds granulated sugar
1 package yeast
1 gallon boiling water

Wash plums and pour on boiling water. Stir and mash with wooden spoon. Leave for ten days. Remove mold carefully. Strain off into another bowl and add sugar, yeast and stir. Cover and stir daily for three days. Bottle and store - ready in six months, better after nine!

4 comments:

mollywaikiki said...

would like to try this recipe but not sure the amount of yeat to use, what size packet, would appreciate some help

Newtondak said...

I used the standard .25 oz. packages of bread yeast. It worked well but I think I will try some actual wine yeast this year.

me said...

Thank you for sharing, I have 30lbs of plums left on my tree and have been waiting for a recipie such as this...I will definately let you know how it turns out!!

Unknown said...

I don't believe you know what you are talking about or didn't actually do this.

My brew is STILL fiercely carbonating 10 days after adding the sugar and yeast. Good thing I used plastic bottles otherwise I would have lost them all. I don't know how you came up with on THREE days.